Thursday, June 17, 2010

A TRIBUTE TO MY GRANDPA


If ever there was a person who affected the lives of so many around him through service, example, and love, it was my grandpa John. Always working and busy with something, and always interested in learning more about the world, people, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Anyone who has met my grandpa has never forgotten him, and I'm sure he didn't likely forget them either (he never forgets a face, name, how to spell that name and connect the dots of their genealogy). A brilliant mind, health fanatic, and people-loving man was he. He could never be content to sit still in life and I'm sure he's busy doing many important things even now while on the other side of the veil.

Being there for his passing was a real treasure of an experience for me. It was my pleasure and honor to help care for my grandpa who has cared for and helped so many others (including me) during his lifetime. He did more in his 76 years than anyone else could do in 200, I'm sure! Though he wasn't always close by for all of the family to see, he made his visits count by inquiring genuinely about our lives and interests. He always supported us in our righteous endeavors and even gave advice as needed. He helped me to realize my potential as a nurse, and was a great example and inspiration to me by going on many medical missions even after "retirement." I could go on and on about his achievements during his life here one earth, but what really matters is that he loved his family and we loved him. He wanted us to be happy, to live and love the Gospel, to be healthy, and to seek knowledge and testimony. I felt that through his words as well as his actions.

His faith was never without works; he taught by example. He taught us to always kneel on the floor for family prayer, and encouraged us to share our talents both at every family reunion as well as in our own lives and callings etc. I'll miss him, but I think I'll just think of him as on another mission somewhere because I bet that's exactly what he's doing now in heaven.

I'll always remember my grandpa's strong hugs and kisses on the forehead. Also, I loved his little chuckles when the family was all gathered and being silly together. And I will always think of him when playing a grand piano, because whenever he was home while someone was playing, he would lay down on his back right under the piano where the sound is the strongest, and go to sleep listening to that beautiful music (and he could fall asleep anywhere and in no time flat - what a gift). He knew how to "choose the good part" in life.

For as health-conscious as he was, he could not be immune to ever sickness. And it is a reminder to me to live well, and not waste a moment because life is so short and so precious. Death is not the end however, and I know that my grandpa is happier than ever now that he has returned home. I'm sure there were angels in the room the day he passed through the veil because I was in that room too. He was surely welcomed home by old friends and family including and especially his beloved mother and father. It must be a grand reunion up in heaven now that he is back, and though we will miss him for a short time here on earth, I know that our family is forever and we will be reunited once again.

Until we meet again, I love you Grandpa.

For newspaper obituary see: http://heraldextra.com/lifestyles/announcements/obituaries/article_75fcad63-1fed-5f1b-92db-f5af74c36f09.html

5 comments:

  1. He was wonderful. I will never forget how kind both your grandparents were on our St.George trip. I'm glad you were able to be there for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your Grandpa, He sounds like a wonderful person! Lets get together this coming week if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great tribute! Totally reminds me of my grandpa :) they sure are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, you made me cry. Thank you for sharing such beautiful thoughts about your Grandfather.

    I am so sorry, Melissa... I didn't know it was your birthday, that day when I saw you! I am such a horrible friend That I didn't remember! Happy late birthday! Did you end up doing something later for you birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mel. What a nice tribute to your dear Grandpa. I'm SO glad you were with me helping care for him in his last days. I needed you there! And he was so proud of you!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete